Thursday, August 19, 2010

Kruger National Park, South Africa

I'm in the middle of my first birding trip to South Africa and it has been an incredible experience. We started with a visit to Kruger National Park where we stayed in four different camps. Kruger is nearly two million hectares in extent and 350 km from north to south. It is home to over 650 species of birds and mammals so there was no shortage of wildlife. 

I'll start with a few images of the "Big Five" that we encountered in Kruger. This will take more than one post due to my current connection.

Elephants were seen in good numbers (over 100), both during the day and on night drives. One old bull with just a single tusk actually charged our car we we tried to sneak by it!

1 comment:

  1. Paul,
    Have a great trip! I can't wait to see/read more about this trip.
    Dwayne

    ReplyDelete