Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Timberdoodle, Bogsucker, Night Partridge

One personal sign of spring's arrival that I enjoy is the spectacular display of the American Woodcock coming from the prairie meadow behind my home.  This year was a bit later than normal, more an indication of my indoor habits of late as opposed to the weather. Although we have had some mild weather in mid March it was just last night at dusk that I heard the familiar call.



  March 23, 2007

A couple of year's ago I took my camera out and managed to get a few images of the woodcock as he performed in the meadow. The technique I used to get close was fairly simple. First, I'd do my best to figure out where the calls originated. When the bird flew up to do his aerial song, I would rush over to be near that spot, crouch, and wait for him to return.  I found that woodcocks usually have a favourite spot on the ground that is fairly open and will return to that spot when they finish their flight display.

2 comments:

  1. Paul, Great photo and shared insight. I would love to see this Timberdoodle display. I read in Toms Birding Pelee book that they do this near the Point Pelee Parking lot. Have you seen them there or near Ojibway?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best place to see the display at Ojibway is the start of the trail into the Ojibway Prairie Provincial Nature Reserve. Park at the end of Titcombe Road off Matchette. The birds start to call about 20 minutes after sunset when there still is some light in the western sky. Warm nights from mid March through April are best.

    ReplyDelete